Monday, November 8, 2010

11/8-11/12 Thanksgiving Tradition

Every year, my family celebrates Thanksgiving by going to my grandma’s house for dinner. My dad’s side of the family all goes to my grandma’s, hangs out, watches football, and spends time together. For dinner, we all gather upstairs in the dining room and eat turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, gravy, and more. Everyone eats and laughs until they can barely breathe any longer. The women then clean up and wash dishes while the men and kids go downstairs and crash on the couches or floor. It’s pretty much a traditional family Thanksgiving. What’s more exciting though, is the event that takes place on a Sunday close to Thanksgiving. My dad’s side of the family has a tradition of making Christmas Candy each year. We go to my grandma’s and spend a whole Sunday in the garage making TONS of hard candy. We make peppermint, spearmint, wintergreen, and cinnamon. The colors are red, green, bluish-green, and yellowish-white. Unfortunately, I can’t give away the family recipe, but it’s pretty delicious. The candy comes out extremely hot and gooey and we all have to cut it up into tiny pieces as it hardens. Then, we coat the candy with sugar and once it’s all finished, we divvy it up into tons of different jars for family friends, and ourselves! The candy is then ready to be eaten and we put it out for the holidays. This special Sunday is coming up soon and I’m looking forward to it. Although my cousins are all off at college, I still enjoy spending the day with my family making a treat that everyone loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment