Friday, December 3, 2010

11/28-12/3 What is art?

What is art? According to dictionary.com, the definition of art is “the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.” I don’t really think that there is one specific definition of art though. Art can be defined in so many ways and different people have different ideas of what it might mean. In my eyes, art can be any form of expression or people being creative. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word “art” is paintings, drawings, photography, sculptures, and the things you can physically touch. Art can also be dance, music, or literature though. You can express yourself through music, movement, and text as well as creating a physical material. I was introduced to art class when I entered the Primary School in kindergarten. In art class, we strictly did things such as painting, drawing, coloring, sculpting, and more. This is how my initial reaction to the word “art” was developed. Later, I learned that there was a deeper meaning and now really see the wide variety that can be considered art. I’ve never really considered myself an artistic person for the fact that I don’t think I’m very creative. I always like everything to be perfect and with art, I never really had that feeling. Art can be so free and an expression of anything you want and it was hard for me to make something that I was completely pleased with. As I’m writing this though, I may be a little more artistic than I though. I love music and dancing, and I am a pretty good writer but creating these things has never been my forte. I do find ways to express myself though, and that right there is a form of art. I use my imagination to get creative and don’t always realize it. Art is definitely a form of entertainment because it is usually pleasing to people. I don’t believe that art can be truly defined because it means so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment