Thursday, January 13, 2011

1/10-1/14 Channel 4!

On Wednesday, January 12th, I traveled out to the Channel 4 News Station in downtown Buffalo. I went with 7 of my classmates from WACS News in order to see how the news was really run. We left school around 2:30 and planned on staying long enough to sit in on the 5 o’clock news. The weather was pretty bad, I didn’t feel good, and we got rear ended on the way there. I was beginning to think that this little trip might not be such a good idea. When we got to Channel 4, our guide, Mr. Schrodt, met us at the door. He took us on a tour and it wasn’t long before I was really interested. Everything was SO cool. We got to see the rooms where they edit and all the employees hard at work getting ready for the 5 o’clock news. Everyone there was extremely friendly and willing to show us what they were doing. We met the producers, directors, and a lot of other people behind the scenes. My favorite part was definitely the studio. The studio was smaller than I expected but it amazed me. I’m the anchor for WACS News so it was really neat to sit in the real anchor’s chairs and get the full experience. We took many pictures and as it got closer to five, Don Paul, Jacquie Walker, and Don Postles came out and took their places. I got to sit in the studio and watch as the 5 o’clock news was happening live. It really was so intriguing to watch them. It seemed to come so natural to them and they were so good at delivering the news. About halfway through, I went to the control room to see how things were run in there. It was extremely hectic because they were in charge of making things run smoothly. Communications is a field that I’m interested in so it was a great opportunity. While there though, a lot of people said that it was a really tough area to find work in and that it didn’t make much money. All in all, the trip to Channel 4 was a wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment