Friday, January 21, 2011

1/18-1/21 WACS influence on me

WACS News has become a big part of my high school career. As a senior, I put a lot of time and energy into WACS. Signing up for Media Production, I wasn’t fully aware of what I was in for, but I don’t regret it at all. It looked like a class that would interest me, and that’s exactly what it is. I have learned a lot from being in WACS News and have gotten a lot out of it so far. Each week is pretty much the same routine. Monday, I pick my stories, plan, and think of ideas for them. Tuesday, I usually film and import what I caught on camera. On Wednesday, I start editing my story and write some of my script. Thursday is the big day. On Thursdays, we film the newscast that will air on television the next day. I have to look nice and come early in order to read over my lines. Cameron and I put on our microphones and earpieces and get ready to go. We have a teleprompter in front of us, feeding us lines, but it is still difficult to not make any mistakes. After a few bloopers and issues with cameras or teleprompters, the filming usually gets done in a good amount of time. On Friday, I finish my story and export it to a computer where it will be edited into the newscast. As you can see, a week with WACS is no “blow-off” class. I spend a lot of time outside of class on WACS as well. A lot of times, I film stories or events that happen outside of school or school events that take place at different times. Also, in order to get my work done, I sometimes have to use my study hall, advisement, or lunch time. I’m always thinking of ways to make events that I attend into stories that would fit into the news. Media Production has brought to my attention my interest in Communications. I would love to have a career in Communications doing something similar to what I do on WACS News. Although it’s a lot of work, it is also a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment